Re: Octave on Android

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:51:05 -0700

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 22 Oct 2013, at 16:58, Corbin Champion <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why do you think it violates the GPL?  What do you want corrected?

As far as I am concerned I'd like to be able to build Octave for Android myself using the build system you developed for your distribution.
This is my right under the terms of the GPLv3 license and I'd like to use this right.

> The Octave maintainers are aware of my policy.

Clearly not all of them where ...
odepkg is not part of Octave but of Octave-Forge which is

> One of their paid staff even encouraged charging.

No one is objecting charging per se,.

But obscuring the source to force users to pay for your packages,
I believe that is in violation of the GPLv3 license and Thomas is the
owner of the copyright of most of the code in the odepkg so he is entitled
to enforce the license.

> Corbin

c.

Carlo Defalco,

Please see my latest email.  Please also understand Thomas made no request for the source code.  I thought he was complaining about that there is a fee.  I am in no way hiding my code, though I agree it wasn't all up there, something I can easily fix.  I have and will freely provided it to anyone who has asked (so no GPL violation, it is only a violation if I don't provide it to users who make a request for it).  I am also in no way obscuring anything.  I did what was necessary to fit a standard GNU/Linux program into an Android app.  It took some doing.  Please do try to build it and tell me what is missing.

Corbin