Re: Octave on Android

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:32:27 -0700

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:

Richard Crozier,

Thank you.  This is the first request I have received for this package
and one of the first for any of my work.  I checked and actually, I only
had the source code for the octave app pushed up there and not the
packages.  I have pushed up the source code for the ODE package, but
will push the others later, when I have a few minutes to work on it.

Thanks!

What do you need to build the package or Octave for Android itself:

If you want to recompile Octave for armel, you can do so, in a normal
fashion (if there is a normal way to cross compile, I now prefer just
creating an ARM image per debootstrap and building in there via QEMU).
The only thing that is required is that you set the prefix properly.  I
have pushed some patches described here
https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/wiki/Octave-Source-Changes .

You also need eclipse and the android-sdk.  That is about it.

If you are serious, please do try it out and tell me what is missing.
If you are just showing how someone is allowed and is supposed to
request source code if they want it, I appreciate the example.  I have a
very large change coming to Octave and the packages relatively soon
(before Christmas I would guess).  It will make the old way of building
obsolete.

I guess I would say I am 75% serious, I might well want to build for android in the future. I also think you are free to charge for this stuff if you abide properly by the terms of the GPL (I probably would pay a $1, perhaps even, say, $3 to have you do it for me rather than do it myself, whether the build system is available or not, mainly because I hate the eclipse IDE so much).

Having said this, one might think of all the time the original maintainer of odepkg spent on the package (probably much longer than you spent on the packaging) and offer at least to cut him in first. This is of course not mandated by the GPL, and rather a matter of politeness.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Richard,

Please tell me what else you need.  It is possible to build without Eclipse, I just haven't looked into it (you will have to do that research).

As far as cutting Thomas in... the choice to charge for the ODE and financial packages was a arbitrary one.  Very few people were contributing, so I decided to provide incentive for people to do so.  I didn't want to impact some already existing feature, so I charged for the new packages I was adding only.  In principle, I agree in giving back though.  I give back in many ways, including to some free software projects.

I wasn't planning on asking or even discussing how I plan to give back, specifically related to this, to others, until the next release.  I will let the details be a mystery until the new version comes out, but there will be a form of tithing back to the projects my projects are based on.  Don't anyone get too excited, this is not a large amount.

Thanks,
Corbin