Re: Octave on Android

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 12:57:49 -0700

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Corbin Champion <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 22 Oct 2013, at 18:51, Corbin Champion <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carlo Defalco,
>
> Please see my latest email.  Please also understand Thomas made no request for the source code.  I thought he was complaining about that there is a fee.  I am in no way hiding my code, though I agree it wasn't all up there, something I can easily fix.  I have and will freely provided it to anyone who has asked (so no GPL violation, it is only a violation if I don't provide it to users who make a request for it).  I am also in no way obscuring anything.
> I did what was necessary to fit a standard GNU/Linux program into an Android app.

I appreciate your open and collaborative attitude, I think there has just been a slight misunderstanding

The misunderstanding, I believe, is about what is intended by source code.

The GPLv3 license says:

  The “Corresponding Source” for a work in object code form means all the source code needed to generate,
  install, and (for an executable work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to
  control those activities.

What I am interested in are the scripts required to generate and install binaries of Octave and odepkg for Android.
As far as I can understand the code in github only covers the installation part not building, am I correct?

If so, I'd like to ask you to share those scripts, if I am mistaken and you have already made those scripts available
I'd appreciate that you point me to those scripts.

>  It took some doing.  Please do try to build it and tell me what is missing.

Thank you very much.

> Corbin
c.

c.,
This is actually the easier part (assuming you have installed the Android SDK with the cross compilation tools). I have built a lot of GPL libraries/programs that use autotool for iOS and it is as simple as running the configure script pointing to the cross-compiler toolchain.
And example of a script that does this can be found at https://gist.github.com/nddrylliog/4688209

Corbin,
Thanks for your replies, it clarified a lot. The one thing I am still confused about after looking through the Eclipse project files is how you go from the cross-compiled toolchain and packages to the .so files in the libs directory. I see the various project and manifest files, but none of them seem to point to an octave build tree or the octave-forge package directories. A little more clarification along these lines would be awesome. Thanks.

John Swensen

This is the last interesting piece that I can think of right now.  It does the renaming.  I will put it on github later.  I will document my flow next time I build and communicate that on the github repository.
Thanks,
Corbin

Corbin,
This was the last piece that I wasn't able to reproduce. I believe that with the information on Github and the information from this thread that with enough time I could muddle my way through building everything (the hardest remaining piece being the process of getting all the build dependencies cross compiled, though maybe the MXE build system that others have been working on could make that much easier also). I was able to build from the Android Eclipse dev environment, but was still wondering how you actually generated all the .so files from the cross-compiled octave build.

Thanks.

John Swensen

My new favorite way to do the remaining piece is to cross debootstrap an armel rootfs and then launch into it using qemu-arm-static.  It will run slower, but if you need anything, you can just apt-get it.  Also, creating your on cross compiler can be problematic.  So, you really won't be cross compiling in this method.  You will be emulating that you are on an armel machine and compiling within that environment.  I think it is a better way than building up from scratch.

Corbin