RE: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 91, Issue 93

From: John D
Subject: RE: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 91, Issue 93
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:51:19 -0400

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 05:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: 3.8 Release Candidate Builds

Rik-4 wrote
> Everyone,
>
> We will soon be in a position to start building release candidates and
> getting feedback on Octave 3.8.  But, we don't need to go to users
> with an
> RC1 when we already know there are bugs in the build process.  I have
> culled the list of "Configuration and Build System" bugs from savannah
> and put them on the 3.8 Bug Fix List

(http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List#Bugs_marked_Configuration_and_Build
_System).
> And to be thorough, here they are:
>
>   * Owner: ??? #40358 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40358&gt;
> Octave Java
>     classes missing on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04
>   * Owner: ??? #40356 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40356&gt;
> Please ship an
>     AppData file upstream
>   * Owner: ??? #40321 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40321&gt; MXE
> / MinGW -
>     mkoctfile fails (& doesn't pick up compile flags)
>   * Owner: ??? #40273 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40273&gt; 'sed'
> is used
>     even if a different value for 'SED' is specified during configure
>   * Owner: ??? #40252 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40252&gt;
> Make GUI
>     compatible with both Qt4 and Qt5
>   * Owner: ??? #40111 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40111&gt; Support
>     runtime selection of Java version on Linux and Unix systems
>   * Owner: ??? #39856 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39856&gt;
> Cannot compile
>     an Oct-File in Windows 7 64 or Vista 64 oct file
>   * Owner: ??? #39465 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39465&gt;
> configure
>     needs jvm.dll for Windows builds
>   * Owner: ??? #39454 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39454&gt; Fix
> building
>     core Java support for MinGW builds
>   * Owner: ??? #39446 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39446&gt;
> MXE-Octave:
>     LAPACK build mixes MinGW and MSVC
>   * Owner: ??? #38928 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38928&gt;
> confugure ->
>     hdf5 doesn't handle path through
>   * Owner: ??? #38776 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38776&gt;
> Tests in
>     private functions cannot be tested directly
>   * Owner: ??? #38351 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38351&gt;
> mkoctfile -p
>     returns wrong flags on mingw.
>   * Owner: ??? #36477 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36477&gt; use
> XDG dirs
>     instead of HOME
>   * Owner: ??? #36064 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36064&gt;
> MAGICK_X extra
>     flags are shadowed by system CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
>   * Owner: ??? #35207 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35207&gt; add
> gl2ps to
>     the configure script
>   * Owner: ??? #34301 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34301&gt;
> Can't compile
>     oct files using gcc -fvisibility=hidden option
>   * Owner: ??? #34169 &lt;https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34169&gt;
> Support -f
>     compiler flags in mkoctfile
>

> We don't need to fix every one just now, but I think it would be a
> good idea to knock off half of them before we start in with the
> release candidate cycle.
>
> Cheers,
> Rik

-----

Some questions: Do we need to fix MSVC issues now? Whats the procedure for
closing out bugs from old versions of octave? Do we care about feature
requests for this release?

A quick look through the list for me (looking only at the Windows issues):
40321 (mkoctfile) - Now fixed (in test)
40273 (SED changes): complete - left open for upsteam changes to gnulib
40252 (Qt5): Not going to change yet ?
39856 (Compiling Oct files in Win7): Issues with MSVC and octave 3.6.4
39465 (Mingw Java support in configure):
39446 (Native build of octave with MSVC installed): Effects oly those who
want to create their own native build octave in Windows.
38351 (mkoctfile flags): Works in mingw built version for me, and was
written against 3.6.2.
34301, 34169 (-f flag in mkoctfile): Feature requests.