Re: Octave on Android

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:18:54 -0700

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:52 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 23 Oct 2013, at 14:12, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> FWIW, despite now being able to build everything from scratch, I have zero intentions of undercutting you and publishing a donation-free version.

Agreed, if all required information is provided and it is indeed possible to build everything from sources
I don't see a problem in asking for donations.

I don't plan to distribute a donation free version any time soon either but I definitely want to try build
the app myself when I have time, so whatever documentation you'll provide will be very welcome.

c.

Thomas,

I am happy to inform you that the package you created under the GPLv2, will no longer be provided to Android users (at least for now).  Your misguided embrace of our increasingly legalistic world has made it so the very work you created will be used by fewer people.

> Text copy of DMCA complaint:

> subject_lr_dmca: Ihre Anfrage an Google

> full_name: Thomas Treichl

> companyname: -

> represented_copyright_holder: Thomas Treichl

> contact_email_noprefill: address@hidden

> country_residence: DE

> location_of_copyrighted_work: http://octave.sourceforge.net/odepkg/

> description_of_copyrighted_work: OdePkg ist ein Paket für GNU Octave zum

> Lösen von Differentialgleichungen. Ich habe die Quellen unter der GNU GPL

> lizensiert. OdePkg wird jetzt auf dem Play Store vertrieben mit dem

> Hinweis: "Currently, only functions if you have made a donation." Das

> bedeutet für mich: Ich "muss" dafür bezahlen, dass es funktioniert. Aus

> diesem Grund habe ich OdePkg nicht geschrieben, dass ich jetzt auf dem Play

> Store kaufen muss. Eine Absprache des Veröffentlichers auf Play Store mit

> mir hat nicht statt gefunden.

> hidden_category:

> android_app_url:

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.octave.ode&hl=de

> dmca_affirmations_authorized: agree

> dmca_affirmations_penalty: agree1

> signature_date: 22.10.2013

> signature: Thomas Treichl

> hidden_product: googleplay

> hidden_ctx:

> geolocation: DE

I think it is agreed that the GPL was not violated and that you should have just requested the source code in question.  If you have any further requests for source code, anything missing, please send them to me.  I wish you would have done this in the first place.  Filing inaccurate DCMA complaints does not help anyone.  I used to think of the body of people working on Free Software as a brotherhood working for the greater good of the user and the world, but after various encounters with zealots who miss the point, I am not sure.  I have people from the GNU foundation telling me how to read word this or that and I have Landley and others encouraging me to not use the GPL license in the future, except where obsoletely necessary.  Both groups seem to have a lot of time to critique/advise.  I, instead, prefer to spend my very finite time creating, supporting etc.

Regardless, a new version of Octave is coming for Android in the near future and I have another Android app that will be useful to many
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=champion.gnuroot
Btw... you can
apt-get install octave
using this or whatever you want.  Still working through bugs, but most things work.  You can see the list of goals at the bottom of the description.

Thanks,
Corbin