Re: Octave on Android

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:26:59 -0400

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 11:18 -0700, Corbin Champion wrote:

> I used to think of the body of people working on Free Software as a
> brotherhood working for the greater good of the user and the world,
> but after various encounters with zealots who miss the point, I am
> not sure.

I am sorry that this happened, but it's really just a
misunderstanding. I don't know if Thomas can withdraw his DMCA
takedown, but recall that he first sent the DMCA takedown, then while
that was going through, talked with you and us on the mailing list and then
decided that there was no violation at all. While this was happening,
his original DMCA claim was being processed and ultimately your work
was removed.

It should not have happened this way. Is it still possible to make
amends? I for one am very grateful for your work and still encourage
you to charge money for it.

> I have people from the GNU foundation telling me how to read word
> this or that and I have Landley and others encouraging me to not use
> the GPL license in the future, except where obsoletely necessary.

Please don't blame the GPL for this misunderstanding. It is a very
important and useful license in other situations, such as, for
example, if you had genuinely been doing this without distributing
source code and if you had been antagonistic to Octave. Please don't
feel burned by this experience. Your work was mistakenly identified as
infringing on the GPL, when it was not. This is all that happened.

On behalf of zealots everywhere, I apologise.

- Jordi G. H.