Re: MXE-Octave & release candidates

From: Rik
Subject: Re: MXE-Octave & release candidates
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:12:28 -0800

On 11/03/2013 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 08:02:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: 'make distcheck' passing
>
> Rik-4 wrote
>> > 11/2/13
>> >
>> > At least on a Linux system the build system can successfully create
>> > release
>> > candidates.  There is still a problem with some of the images in the
>> > manual
>> > that have legends.  But, I think it would not hurt to start trying to
>> > build
>> > a release candidate through MXE-Octave; This is bound to expose more
>> > issues.
> What do you mean exactly with "release candidate"? A binary distribution
> that can be installed on Windows?
I simply want us to get started on this process early because it involves
two additional steps to get right 1) MXE-Octave build needs to work, 2)
Windows Installer needs to package MXE-Octave.  Each step could have
problems that might cause delay.  For example, I know that gnuplot-4.6.1
was being used in one of the MXE builds and this needs to be updated to at
least 4.6.2 to solve a problem reported on Savannah.  Second, we should
avoid gcc-4.8.2 in the MXE build.

> If so: I've been regularly building them (about daily to every other day)
> the last months and test them at home and at work. And use them for
> productivity as well.
>
> If you want me to supply one I'll gladly put one up. I already had vague
> plans for that but I haven't sorted out yet how; I intented to discuss that
> here first.
> Maybe Octave-Forge would be a good place? My Dropbox has some issues lately
> and I don't know if has bandwidth limitations.
>
> Note that I have my own mxe-mods simply because I use it for daily work
> (first of all newest Octave ("tip"); newer or even newest plus some extra OF
> packages compared to original mxe-octave; documentation in html & pdf (but
> no Start Menu links code yet in the installer); Java class libs for
> spreadsheet I/O) => so usually these binaries are about 200 MB compared to
> ~160 MB for "plain vanilla" mxe-octave builds.
I'll leave the question of how to prepare the final Windows build to jwe.

--Rik