Re: log2 on MinGW

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: log2 on MinGW
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 06:48:01 -0500

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/03/2013 08:39 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

gnulib provides an implementation of frexp, however I'm wondering
whether gnulib's implementation can be considered sub-optimal, as it has
to be generic, compared to the internal Win32 implementation, which can
use assembly. I truly don't know, I never tried to compare performance.

I checked in the following change:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/573f865aa8c8

If someone shows that the gnulib function is slow or doesn't
solve the problem that we have, then I think we should try to improve
the gnulib function.

You can start by comparing those 2:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_frexp.c;h=1b8d8500ba89909319c05556ba79ce14593b1e28;hb=HEAD
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/frexp.c;h=d847fa38b3360d6f93593b28b8537da984aef3e8;hb=HEAD