Re: regression in eigs

From: Rik
Subject: Re: regression in eigs
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:42:55 -0800

On 11/03/2013 11:56 PM, c. wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2013, at 08:55, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just found a nasty regression in eigs when a numerical value is provided
>> and the size of the matrix / number of eigenvalues cause a fallback to eig
>>
>> I think the fix is trivial so it is worth doing before the release, but I
>> don't have time to do it until this evening, so I just pushed a failing test
>> to show the problem for the moment.
>>
>> I'll push the fix later today if no one does it before me.
>>
>> c.
> I take it back, it seems I can't push the changeset without creating a new
> head,
> so here's the changeset as an attachment instead.
> c.
11/4/13

Carlo,

I pushed your changeset.  I also fixed the problem in this changeset
(http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/42453dcfa95e).  There is still
a small difference in that eigs normally returns the k eigenvalues closest
to sigma (when numeric sigma) in descending order.  The patch returns the k
eigenvalues closest to sigma in the order of their closeness to sigma.  If
someone wants to patch that it would be fine, but the regression is cleared
up and all tests pass again.

--Rik