Re: minGW 'make check' errors

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: minGW 'make check' errors
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 12:57:07 -0800 (PST)

PhilipNienhuis wrote

> John W. Eaton wrote
>> On 11/03/2013 02:32 PM, Rik wrote:
>>> 11/3/13
>>>
>>> This bug report details some errors which apparently only appear on the
>>> minGW system (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32036).
>>
>> Here is what I currently see with a cross build for Windows.  I used
>> hg id 573f865aa8c8 for Octave and 7a7d2318ca93+ for mxe-octave (the
>> only changes were for the version number and sha1sum of the tar
>> file in src/octave.mk).

>>      PASS     11417
>>      FAIL        18
>>      XFAIL        7
>>      SKIPPED     48
>>
>> The large number of skipped tests are because I disabled the JIT
>> compiler and I don't seem to have Java.  I thought building with Java
>> was fixed for Windows cross compiling?  If that is supposed to be
>> working, then I need to find out why it is not for me.
> I think Anirudha fixed it but his branch hasn't been merged back yet. So
> no, currently you have no Java support yet.
> I have some "kludges" in my mxe-octave that allow Java to get built.
> Essentially still the same as I reported here last Spring (IIRC).
>> In the attached fntests.log file I only see 14 failures compared to
>> the 18 listed in the summary.  I don't know what's causing that.  The
>> counts of skipped tests and expected failures seems to be correct.
>>
>> One troubling failure is the one for sort.  Why would sort not be
>> stable for complex values on Windows?
>>
>> Also the quadgk failure looks bad because it could indicate a
>> numerical problem.
>>
>> The failure due to missing ghostscript needs to be fixed by somehow
>> including ghostscript in the distribution.  Cross compiling it doesn't
>> seem to be easy to do.
>>
>> I don't expect the group and password functions to work.
>>
>> Should umask work?
> __run_test_suite__ just finished on an mxe-octave cross-built MinGW-octave
> of tip c17a3e43956b "avoid partial lines attop of command window". This
> includes mxe-octave fixes to allow llvm to get included.
>
> The single two Java tests pass, and from extensive use with
> mxe-cross-built MinGW-Octaves I know that Java works fine.
>
> I have Ghostscript installed on my XP box and I see no ghostscipt-related
> errors.
> The ghostscript installer can be downloaded here:
>
> http://downloads.ghostscript.com/public/
>
> Using 7-zip the gs910w32.exe installer file can simply be unpacked.
>
> As to the other tests:
> I get essentially the same results as you, be it that the tests got hung
> on jit.tst with 1 CPU core at 95-100 %.
> I waited half an hour before Ctrl-C; I think 30 minutes should be ample
> time for jit.tst (on the Linux side it took maybe a minute) - or is that a
> wrong assumption?
>
> If I have time tomorrow night I'll try to find out which part of jit.tst
> gets the test suite hung.

OK I tried to manually run the testsin
/share/octave/3.7.7+/etc/tests/fixed/jit.tst.

>> global __old_jit_enable__;
>> global __old_jit_startcnt__;
>> __old_jit_enable__ = jit_enable (true);
>> __old_jit_startcnt__ = jit_startcnt (1000);
>>  for i=1:1e6
   if (i < 5)
     break;
   else
     break;
   endif
 endfor
>>  assert (i, 1);
error: ASSERT errors for:  assert (i,1)

  Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
     ()       9.927e-315       1         Abs err 1 exceeds tol 0
>>  while (1)
   if (1)
     break;
   else
     break;
   endif
 endwhile
>> testif HAVE_LLVM
error: 'testif' undefined near line 1 column 1
>>  for i=1:1e6
   if (i == 100)
     break;
   endif
 endfor

... and that is where the process hangs: in this simple for loop, the 3rd
test section.

Philip