Re: bug #40256

From: Rik
Subject: Re: bug #40256
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:12:39 -0800

On 11/07/2013 12:28 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:40:42 -0800 (PST)
> From: PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: 3.8 Bug Fix update
>
> Rik-4 wrote
>> > 11/6/13
>> >
>> > All,
>> >
>> > The release is getting close because I can see the number of bugs reported
>> > against the GUI is going up as people actually test it.
>> >
>> > Here are the bugs and bug categories still left to fix before release:
>> >
>> > Bugs with severity >= 4
>> > -----------------------
>> > #40436  median no longer passes make check
>> > #40365  Community news web access should be a user preference
>> > #40242  FLTK + GUI = crash on MacOSX (will this be fixed?  Or will we make
>> > gnuplot the default for Max OS X)
>> >
>> > Regressions
>> > -----------------------
>> > #40333  print with legend modifies axis position (gnuplot)
>> > (A quick hack would be to disable legend updates on the fonsize property.
>> > The legend box will then no longer change size appropriately when the
>> > fontsize is changed.  Alternatively, we could modify the scripts that
>> > build
>> > images for the documentation to use FLTK.  This will require displaying
>> > the
>> > image onscreen before printing (no hidden figures for FLTK).  But, it
>> > would
>> > only affect the builder of the tarball.  Ordinary users and even system
>> > packagers only need the created images.)
>> >
>> > Build System
>> > -----------------------
>> > #40381  MXE / MinGW - setenv does not work correctly (Mostly fixed, but
>> > still one remaining issue with launching octave.)
> Is #40256 (datetick doesn't remove previous X-grid & ticks) still in the
> list? (it is a regression and actually a nasty one for me)
11/7/13

Philip,

The bug is listed on the 3.8 Bug Fix list
(http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List), however it's not listed as an
official gating item for the release.  I took a quick look at it, but I
don't spend much time with gnuplot so I don't have a good answer.  The
problem is not with datetick, but rather with how the command "set (gca,
'xticklabel', ...)" works.  Instead of just overwriting the existing
labels, this is apparently invoking the auto-axis labeling routine.  Simple
code to reproduce:

plot (1:4)
## At this point labels are 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4
set (gca, 'xtick', 1:4)
## At this point labels are 1, 2, 3, 4
set (gca, 'xticklabel', {'A', 'B', 'C', 'D'})
## Now labels are 'A', 1.5, 'B', 2.5, 'C', 3.5, 'D'

--Rik