Re: bug #40256

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: bug #40256
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 04:27:58 -0800 (PST)

Rik-4 wrote
> On 11/07/2013 12:28 AM,

> octave-maintainers-request@

>  wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:40:42 -0800 (PST)
>> From: PhilipNienhuis <

> pr.nienhuis@

> octave-maintainers@

>> Subject: Re: 3.8 Bug Fix update

> address@hidden

>> Rik-4 wrote

>>> reported

>>> make

>>> property.
>>> displaying
>>> system

>>> but
>> Is #40256 (datetick doesn't remove previous X-grid & ticks) still in the
>> list? (it is a regression and actually a nasty one for me)
> 11/7/13
>
> Philip,
>
> The bug is listed on the 3.8 Bug Fix list
> (http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List), however it's not listed as an
> official gating item for the release.  I took a quick look at it, but I
> don't spend much time with gnuplot so I don't have a good answer.  The
> problem is not with datetick, but rather with how the command "set (gca,
> 'xticklabel', ...)" works.  Instead of just overwriting the existing
> labels, this is apparently invoking the auto-axis labeling routine.
> Simple
> code to reproduce:
>
> plot (1:4)
> ## At this point labels are 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4
> set (gca, 'xtick', 1:4)
> ## At this point labels are 1, 2, 3, 4
> set (gca, 'xticklabel', {'A', 'B', 'C', 'D'})
> ## Now labels are 'A', 1.5, 'B', 2.5, 'C', 3.5, 'D'

The underlying issue is that because of bug #33748 and bug #40246 I need to
revert to gnuplot. Now gnuplot also bugs out on me.
Rescaling before handing off to fltk/OpenGL is quite cumbersome as we'd need
to patch all code (many of which is Matlab code still used in Matlab)
invoking plotting. That's hundreds of functions to process....

Philip