Re: MXE files list generation

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: MXE files list generation
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:44:16 -0500

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM, John Donoghue <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/07/2013 03:28 AM, octave-maintainers-request@octave.org wrote:
essage: 2
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 23:46:09 -0500
From: Michael Goffioul<michael.goffioul@gmail.com>
To: "John W. Eaton"<address@hidden>,    Octave Maintainers List
        <address@hidden>
Subject: MXE files list generation

John,

I'd like to add a system to MXE that generates a files list for the
compiled packages. Eventually, I intend to use that information to build a
smarter installer and/or separate installers. The footprint on the current
compilation process should be minimal.

I've attached a prototype. The patch generate-file-list implements the
functionality in the core Makefile: it passes additional arguments to
$(PKG)_BUILD macro to be used as prefix and DESTDIR, then it generates a
files list and copy over the installed files into the real installation
directory.

I've also provided an example of changes required on the cURL module.

Do you agree with the concept?

Michael.

Michael,

I see few things that have broken in mxe build where files from the host build were copied to the build folders (config scripts etc)
I have changed a few of these back to install to the BUILD_TOOLS_PREFIX (not the temp build dir)

Could you be more specific about the breakage? Maybe what's just missing is a line like:

$(INSTALL) -d '$(3)$(BUILD_TOOLS_PREFIX)/bin'

My question on these and all the build_xxx tools - do these need be treated in the new way for the install, or since they are not part of what will be distributed, should/need be out of the install ?

I wanted the build tools also covered by the file listing, to be able to have the concept of packages on the build host. That's why I generate 2 file lists: one "native" in <module>.files, and one "complete" in <module>.pkg.

Michael.