Re: MXE-Octave NSIS build

From: Rik
Subject: Re: MXE-Octave NSIS build
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:37:14 -0800

On 11/12/2013 07:44 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 01:43:46 -0500
> From: John Donoghue <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 92, Issue 46
>
> On 11/12/2013 01:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> > Message: 3
>> > Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:46:20 -0800
>> > From: Rik<address@hidden>
>> > To: Octave Maintainers<address@hidden>
>> > Subject: MXE-Octave building (11/11/13)
>> >
>> > 11/11/13
>> >
>> > I've never tried it, but it seems increasingly necessary to try and get a
>> > MinGW copy of Octave myself so that I can debug things.  I tried using the
>> > instructions athttp://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer.  The instructions
>> > call for using './mk-dist --installer' which fails for me near the bottom
>> > of the script.  Is this supposed to work or is only zip-file creation
>> > supported?
>> >
>> > The proximate cause of the failure is this stanza near the bottom of the
>> > mk-dist script.
>> >
>> > if [ $installer = "yes" ]; then
>> >    $SHELL ../makeinst-script.sh $OCTAVE_TARGET-$DATE
>> >
>> > $SHELL, in my case, is /bin/tcsh which fails to parse makeinst-script.sh
>> > which is a Bourne shell script.  But even when I replace $SHELL with
>> > /bin/sh it still fails further along.
>> >
>> > --Rik
> Whats the error?
The error was still caused by an incorrect shell.  It turns out the
makeinst-script.sh is not a Bourne shell, but a bash shell, script.  If I
replace $SHELL with /bin/bash then everything at least runs without error,
although no executable installer is made.  Is it possible to remove the
$SHELL reference and just begin the line with '../makeinst-script.sh' which
will use the UNIX #! mechanism to pick up the right shell?  If not, because
this script may run on non-UNIX platforms, then $SHELL needs to be changed
to guarantee that it points to a bash shell executable.

--Rik