Re: Missing translation strings

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Missing translation strings
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:14:39 -0800

On 11/18/2013 01:43 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 13:04:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Phrases missing and mismatched phrases in translation files
>
> When using the Dutch translation with yesterday's build I saw that there are
> quite a few English phrases that are not translated; even though I have
> reminiscences that I added those translations.
>
> So I downloaded nl_NL.ts from Savannah and searched for the exact
> (not-translated) English phrases I see in the Octave GUI- but they weren't
> there (according to Notepad++'s search facility). Same for e.g., e_DE.ts.
>
> Some examples from the Preferences | editor tab:
>
> - "Show whitespace" (hmm I see that it is spelled "white space" in nl_NL.ts
> and de_DE.ts)
>
> - # of characters typed before completion list displayed (word "completion"
> nowhere to be found)
>
> - "Create nonexistent files without prompting" (spelled "non existing" in
> nl_NL.ts and de_DE.ts)
>
> What happened to those language files? How can they be fixed w/o completely
> re-translating them?
Philip,

There is usually a utility that needs to be run which examines and extracts
all the strings from the source code and then examines the .ts file and
updates line numbers, etc.  It does a merge which means new strings are
added and existing ones are not destroyed.  Because we haven't done a
string freeze, that utility hasn't been run which means the source code
strings are newer than the ones in the .ts file.  But, I just see that
Torsten has checked in a changeset to update the strings
(http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e036b96133ec) so everything
should be fine now.

--Rik