Re: translating Community News

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: translating Community News
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:25:25 -0500

On 11/18/2013 03:48 PM, Rik wrote:
On 11/18/2013 12:16 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 20:08, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 11/18/13
>> In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am
>> going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new
>> translations.
> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
> to the configured language?
Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
the documentation.

--Rik
It might make sense for "volatile" strings to refer people to Google translate.
Google translate does a pretty good job on short phrases which do not use
too many odd constructs.  And, it is easy to ask it to try other translations of pieces
of the text.

It begins to run into trouble with strings longer than a typical paragraph...

Michael