Better documentation search

From: John Swensen
Subject: Better documentation search
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:50:33 -0500

I am considering going back and working on incorporating the Xapian-based (see http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-xapianomega/index.html?cmp=dw&cpb=dwope&ct=dwnew&cr=dwnen&ccy=zz&csr=110410 for info on how the database is generated from a collection of HTML files and how to access them from the API) HTML documentation search functionality that I have in OctaveDE into the help browser for the QT IDE. It ended up being a really, really fast live search method that I really liked and think it would be a good addition to the QT IDE. I realize it adds one more dependency for the IDE, but think it might be worth it. Of course, it will just be a patch so the powers that be can decide whether it is worth it. If I remember correctly, the database containing all the metadata for searching was about 9MB for all of the main Octave functions and all of OctaveForge. However, I have a few questions:

1) Is there HTML documentation that is part of all the release packages? If would this be preferred over the OctaveForge documentation layout.
2) Is there a zipped up version of the OctaveForge documentation somewhere? I could use something like HTTrack to deep scrape the whole site, but if this is downloadable somewhere that would be better. Or, how is this generated?

John Swensen