Re: Couple of questions to help Octave for Android

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Couple of questions to help Octave for Android
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:01:28 -0800

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/20/2013 07:43 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:49:35 -0800, Corbin Champion wrote:
New release is coming soon.  Down to a very small number of issues.

1) How does octave pick up that a new package is present after someone
installs a octave-forge package via apt-get?  I looked at the .deb file
for octave-mapping as a simple example and didn't see a postinst
script.  But if I just simply put all the files in the normal locations,
they don't get auto read into the path and the octave_packages file is
not updated on the next launch.  So, how does octave recognize that
someone has installed the octave-mapping .deb file?

There is a postinstall, but it is implemented with a dpkg trigger that
is owned by the octave package itself. Look at octave.postinst in the
octave package. Basically the only thing that is required is to run "pkg
rebuild" in octave, this scans all installed packages and builds the
package metadata cache.

2) What is the lowest level function that gets called whenever any form
of a plot is generated with gnuplot?  Looking to do something after
drawing is finished for any figure.  Also, is there a way to have no
plot displayed to the screen?

Part A, not sure. Part B, you probably want the figure "visible" property:

   h = figure (1, "visible", "off");

HTH,

Part A: If possible, use the debugger to follow the plotting scripts into the subdirectory where gnuplot commands are now located (scripts/plot/util/private).  Also, this may work (from JWE a while back) if you want to experiment with post-mods without having to keep rerunning Octave:

"
Yes, use this form of the drawnow command:

  drawnow (TERM, FILE, MONO, DEBUG_FILE)

for example:

  sombrero ();
  drawnow ("x11", "/dev/null", false, "foo.gp");
"

Thank you all.  pkg rebuild is what I needed and drawnow, or more specifically __gnuplot_drawnow__ is what I needed.

Corbin