Re: Win32 CTRL-C handling (Was: interrupt handing and the GUI (bug #3767

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Win32 CTRL-C handling (Was: interrupt handing and the GUI (bug #37672))
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 14:49:02 -0500

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/21/2013 11:10 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

That's a known issue I've already mentioned at least twice :).

The problem is that readline uses _getch(), and that Win32 core function
disables CTRL-C handling. When you hit CTRL-C while readline is active,
_getch() simply returns 0x3, and readline interpret it as a normal key
sequence. There's no handler associated with that key sequence by
default in readline, so nothing happens.

Sorry, I know you've mentioned that before.  I meant to report what I was seeing.

I've looked, but I don't see how bash is reacting to Ctrl-C on Windows systems when it is using readline.

Speaking of readline, there's still an issue with the GUI (or when using FLTK in CLI) in the sense that it's using way too much CPU when idle. This is because there's nothing to throttle the event-hook loop (it's using "select" on UNIX platform, but that doesn't work in Win32, as you can't "select" on anything else than a network socket).

I hope to get some time in the coming days to have a serious look at it.

Michael.