Re: 4.0 vs 3.8 again

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 4.0 vs 3.8 again
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 17:40:11 -0500

On 11/19/2013 11:34 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 11/19/2013 12:37 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

Is it worth considering a 3.8 release without the GUI, and a 4.0 release
with
GUI when the GUI is definitely suitable for general use on all platforms?
This may satisfy the differing views about 3.8 and 4.0 and avoid
releasing
a buggy GUI.

This is an idea worth considering.  Make the 3.8 version with the GUI
off by default but still available with "--with-gui" or something.

I agree that we should consider doing this.

I've been inclined to think 3.8, but I could be convinced to go with 4.0
based upon how much has changed, how long this has taken and how long it
will be before a follow-up release comes.  I think a followup release
will be a while off, because there are fundamental things that will need
to be changed in order to allow advancing.  Those would include: a more
flexible method than callbacks (thereby allowing more developers to
help), a means to transfer command results to the GUI (some is done
there) for advanced features, and what is turning out to be interrupt
issues.  Spending more time with those types of things to get a good
footing would help in the long run.

I agree. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I doubt that it will be less than 6 months.