Re: Default GUI or CLI for 3.8

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Default GUI or CLI for 3.8
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:09:46 -0500

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:41:21 -0500, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 08:30 -0800, Rik wrote:
>> > As a way out of this morass, I propose that we release with the legacy
>> > behavior of launching the CLI.  A command-line option such as "--gui"
>> > would
>> > be used to launch the GUI.
>> [snip]
>> > Is this an acceptable compromise?
>>
>> I like this suggestion. I further suggest we spend all of our efforts
>> on stabilising the GUI on Windows and Mac OS X, and make that the sole
>> release goal for 4.0. At least, that's where I plan to spend all of my
>> efforts. I'm currently working on the Mac OS X build.
>>
>> Our users who really want the GUI and can understand its problem can
>> add the --gui option. The rest won't be exposed to our mess yet.

This sounds reasonable to me too.

> That sounds like a reasonable trade-off. But we have to make sure that
> packagers respect our will not to have the gui enabled by default.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Rik is suggesting a run-time option
to start the GUI, defaulted to off, at least that's how I read it. Are
you suggesting that distributions should only build Octave with
--disable-gui? Do you mean they shouldn't patch main.cc to make --gui
default to on? Or do you mean discourage them from distributing a
.desktop file that runs "octave --gui"?

--
mike