Re: Default GUI or CLI for 3.8

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Default GUI or CLI for 3.8
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:51:23 +0100

On 23.11.2013 06:10, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> I'll also propose a couple things here:
>
> 1) We request that users not report any GUI-only related bugs to the
> conventional bug-tracking system.  Only give feedback on the
> look-and-feel and general behavior of the GUI.

I don't get you here. Shouldn't users report any GUI-related bugs at all
or only on a special web site?
I am more skeptical concerning the feedback on the look-and-feel. We
will definitely get important and good suggestions how to make the gui
more user friendly but I am also expecting contradictory requests
depending on the users habits (okay, for us the hint to make more
features configurable).

> 2) Could we set up a temporary feedback page (with codeword/image entry
> to prevent spam) as part of the Octave webpage to direct users to?
>
> That way, we could get lots of easy-to-read feedback and keep the
> Savanah and Maintainers list free of redundant traffic.  It would be the
> normal developers working on GUI bugs as usual until the 4.0 release at
> which point GUI bugs fall under the same category as all bugs.
>
> So, the message upon launching the GUI might be something to the effect:
>
> "This is an Octave GUI beta release with official release slated for 4.0
> sometime in the months to come.  Your feedback on the look-and-feel and
> general behavior of the GUI is welcome.  Please make comments at
> (comment page address, or blog page address that has comment support).
> We ask that you not file any bug reports related solely to the GUI at
> the conventional tracker website as developers are actively working on
> any GUI bugs for the 4.0 release and may have already addressed an issue
> you have found.  However, bug reports regarding the CLI version of the
> program are encouraged and may be done at the conventional tracking site."

I don't think we should prevent users from reporting GUI-related bugs.
Don't you expect that users will find new bugs?

Torsten