Re: Ctrl + Q does not work

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Ctrl + Q does not work
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 18:06:37 +0100

On 23.11.2013 17:43, Julien Bect wrote:
> On 22/11/2013 17:38, Rik wrote:
>> This is not a bug. Within the command window the environment should be
>> exactly like the CLI. This means responding to GNU Readline key
>> bindings. Try Ctrl+Q when the GUI focus is in another window, such as
>> the variable viewer, and then it will work.
>
> IMHO, this a very peculiar and unexpected behaviour.
>
> All other GUIs that I know of (Rstudio for R, Spyder for Python, Scilab,
> Matlab...) respond to Ctrl + Q even when the focus is the command window.
>
> Is this really the behaviour that will be implemented in the released
> Octave GUI ?
>
> @++
> Julien

Many octave users are used to the GNU readline interface. We have to
decide whether the control keys are processed by the GUI or are passed
to readline. The shortcut Ctrl-Q is only used once per session. I think
it is acceptable to type "exit" or use Alt-F4 instead.

We can provide a preference in the settings whether control keys should
be processed by the GUI or by readline when in the console window. But
This new preference would introduce a new text string (after string
freeze for 3.8).
Others?

Torsten