Re: Ctrl + Q does not work

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Ctrl + Q does not work
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 09:58:58 +0100

On 23/11/2013 18:06, Torsten wrote:
On 23.11.2013 17:43, Julien Bect wrote:
>On 22/11/2013 17:38, Rik wrote:
>>This is not a bug. Within the command window the environment should be
>>exactly like the CLI. This means responding to GNU Readline key
>>bindings. Try Ctrl+Q when the GUI focus is in another window, such as
>>the variable viewer, and then it will work.
>
>IMHO, this a very peculiar and unexpected behaviour.
>
>All other GUIs that I know of (Rstudio for R, Spyder for Python, Scilab,
>Matlab...) respond to Ctrl + Q even when the focus is the command window.
>
>Is this really the behaviour that will be implemented in the released
>Octave GUI ?
>
>@++
>Julien
Many octave users are used to the GNU readline interface. We have to
decide whether the control keys are processed by the GUI or are passed
to readline. The shortcut Ctrl-Q is only used once per session. I think
it is acceptable to type "exit" or use Alt-F4 instead.

I understood from the discussions on this list that the GUI is meant to bring new users to Octave. And for those users, I am pretty sure that this kind of inconsistencies (having shortcuts like Ctrl+Q, Ctrl+O or Ctrl+Maj+F with a meaning that changes when the focus is on the command window) will be disturbing and considered as bugs.

Even without that, I think that this design choice goes against the most basic rules of HMI design (simplicity, consistency...).

Some thoughts about these issues (from my own user perspective) :

a) Since Ctrl+D is the standard shortcut for closing the Octave CLI, why not use the same shortcut everywhere in the GUI (instead of Ctrl+Q) and change the File menu accordingly ?

b) Concerning Ctrl+O, I would even prefer to have no shortcut at all indicated in the File menu, than having "Ctrl+O" mentioned but not working when I'm in the command window.

c) Another option, to restore at least consistency (at the expense of simplicity), the shortcuts in the File menu could be grayed when they stop being valid, i.e., when the focus is on the command window.

Just my two (or three) cents.