octave + macports report

From: c.
Subject: octave + macports report
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:43:07 +0100

Hi,

I just posted this report about my experience building Octave on OSX 10.9 with
Macports on the Macports tracker:

  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41155

Although this refers specifically to a build through Macports, I'm linking here
as some of my experience might
(or might not) be helpful for those building via Fink or MXE.

In particular, no matter how hard I tried, I was unable to build using apple's
clang, only gcc47 and gcc48 seemed
to work for me, I'd be curious to know whether this also applies to mxe and/or
Fink.

Also I had a huge number of test fails in make check when linking to OpenBLAS,
therefore, although it is very lenghty
to install and it is also known to have efficiency problems on OSX, I had to
restrict to ATLAS.

HTH,
c.