Re: Libraries not found in ./configure step

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Libraries not found in ./configure step
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:11:55 -0500

On Wed, 2013-11-27 at 16:03 +0100, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

> Also I obtain the warnings:
>
> configure: WARNING: UNEXPECTED: found nth_element working in g++
> 4.8.2.  Has it been patched on your system?
> configure: WARNING: qrupdate not found.  The QR & Cholesky updating
> functions will be slow.
> configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.
> configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized.
> Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
>
> 1- I don't understand the warnings about the g++ compiler

We know that g++ 4.8.2 has a bug, apparently on your system it
doesn't. The configure script is just surprised that this happened.

> 2- I have installed the QRUPDATE and ARPACK libraries in the standard
> paths (/usr/lib/libqrupdate.a and /usr/lib/libarpack.a). I've tried to
> pass the options --with-qrupdate-libdir=/usr/lib/
> --with-arpack-libdir=/usr/lib/, but the warnings still appear

You need shared versions of those libraries or to compile Octave
statically.

You shouldn't need to compile your own versions of these libraries:
they are already packaged for Debian.

> 3- I don't understand also the warning about the JAVA_HOME

Octave now uses Java. If you don't set a JAVA_HOME environment
variable, the configure script will try to guess where Java is, but
Java is so weird across platforms that guessing where it might be is
impossible in general. For Debian, you're lucky enough that we happen
to like Debian, so we know where to find its Java installation.

- Jordi G. H.