Re: Problems with Java with MXE cross-builds

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Problems with Java with MXE cross-builds
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:08:48 -0800 (PST)

Rik-4 wrote
> On 11/19/2013 09:46 AM,

> octave-maintainers-request@

>  wrote:
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:41:12 -0800 (PST)
>> From: PhilipNienhuis <

> pr.nienhuis@

> octave-maintainers@

>> Subject: Re: Anyone using Java with recent MinGW builds?

> address@hidden

>> Rik-4 wrote

>>> anything
>> What copy of Java did you download & install? A JDK, a JRE?
>>
>> Here I've built and used Java support with (cross-built) MinGW binaries
>> ever
>> since I figured out how to get Java support cross-compiled in mxe-octave.
>> described that in the maintainers ML (IIRC somewhere in July).
>>
>> Don't know if it helps but my octave.mk has been attached.
>> You'd need to adapt the SHA1 checksum and configure settings. Note that I
>> simply copied the contents of Windows
> <JAVA_HOME>
> /include/win32/ to Linux
>>
> <JAVA_HOME>
> /include (a kludge, but I think a decent one at that, for the
>> being being). (symlinking from Linux JAVA_HOME to the Windows side didn't
>> work with mxe-octave, I didn't bother to investigate)
>>
>> Philip
>> octave.mk
>> &lt;http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659319/octave.mk&gt;
>
> 11/27/13
>
> This problem is still very much present for me.  I have done nothing
> special either on the Linux side or the Windows side.

I expect that you'll have no Java support compiled in then. See below.

>  On the Linux side, I
> have Java installed and when I run the MXE cross-build it succeeds.

Sure, but without Java support.

>   On the
> Windows side I have Windows XP and I just downloaded the standard package
> from Oracle which gives me Java 7 Update 45 (probably just a JRE).  I get
> segfault every time when using any Java command.
>
> It seems to me that we may need to be more careful in configure.ac about
> distinguishing between $build_os and $host_os.  We require a Java
> environment on the $build_os in order to produce .class and .jar files
> that
> are a part of Octave.  We require a jvm on the $host_os in order to run
> things, but we can't test that in a cross-compiling situation and should
> just assume "yes".
>
> For any Java experts, is it possible that the problem is architecture
> related (32-bit vs. 64-bit).  My build platform is x86_64  Linux, but
> Windows XP Home Edition is 32 bit.say about

Maybe it is indeed 64 vs 32 bit. I don know, I cross-build Octave on a
32-bit Linux box (didn't have time to install 64-bit Linux yet).

What does the octave build log, especially the configure step, in mxe say
about Java? (in ./log/octave)

AFAIK, if you have no Java include files for Windows on the Linux side
(either using my trick, or somewhere in ./tools/ like Anirudha did) one gets
configure messages that jni_md.h wasn't found and Java support won't be
built.

Here, trying Java methods with such an mxe-octave binary on Windows would
give messages that Java support wasn't compiled in, but no segfaults.

Philip