Re: Warning about experimental GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Warning about experimental GUI
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 16:33:13 -0500

On 11/27/2013 02:51 AM, Torsten wrote:
Do we really have to show the warning about the experimental GUI in such
a prominent way? Can we at least make the widget closable?

I figured someone wouldn't like it.

I think the question is what are we trying to tell users? Is it "expect bugs and if you find them we don't want to hear your complaints" or "expect bugs, please be nice when you report them" or "we don't really think the GUI is ready, but here it is anyway" or what?

FWIW, I'm OK with releasing Octave with the GUI enabled now and just being prepared for complaints and nasty comments and trying to fix the worst problems for the next point release. But nearly everyone else seems to think that we should disable the GUI for 3.8. If we disable it but include it, then I think we should explain to people why we've done that. Putting that explanation in the release notes guarantees that few people will see it. Putting it in a pop-up dialog when Octave starts would probably not be much better if the note is only displayed once. Displaying it every time would be more annoying to me than the banner that I added.