Re: Warning about experimental GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Warning about experimental GUI
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:43:14 -0500

On 11/27/2013 06:09 PM, Richard Crozier wrote:

How about just 'Experimental Octave GUI' in the title bar or similar?
The massive message takes up too much screen space.

I'm not sure I'd call it "massive".  Is your theme putting a lot of
extra space around the text?

In any case, I checked in the following change to allow the warning
bar to be removed.  When it is removed, it is replaced by a button in
the tool bar that opens a message dialog to provide more info.

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2ef2043a0601

Before the release we need to put more info about the GUI in the "more
info" dialog.  I'll try to spend some time today or tomorrow working
on this message.

To make it easier for translators, perhaps we should finalize the text
and include all variants in the source now.  That includes the short
warning bar message and the longer "more info" message for the release
candidate and the release.

In the future, I can see us continuing to use this feature for release
development versions so that people are reminded that they are not
using a regular release of Octave.