Re: @ not @ tip

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: @ not @ tip
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:40:57 -0500

On Thu, 2013-11-28 at 10:36 -0600, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> The tagless @ bookmark fell behind about a dozen changesets ago or
> thereabouts.  (We just merge on the client end, right?  It then resolves
> itself when the canonical repository is merged?)

The @ bookmark indicates what people will get when they first do "hg
clone". It should typically point to the default branch, which is
where it is now. It just so happens that right now the interesting
work before a release is on the stable branch. It is not the case that
"@" should always point to the last commit chronologically.

If we think that right now people first cloning hg should be getting
the stable branch instead of default as usual, we can move @ to point
to stable. I personally think it's fine as it is to leave it on
default. We should just be merging stable to default as usual, and
that will advance @:

    ## i.e. on default
    hg up @

    hg merge stable

    ## This merge commit will advance @ on default
    hg commit -m "maint: merge stable to default"

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.