Re: some issues with new emacs octave mode

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: some issues with new emacs octave mode
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 16:14:45 +0800

Sorry for the long delay.

Emacs is entering pretest soon and it will be good for the Octave
community to test octave.el in emacs trunk and report bugs. To make sure
your bug reports are properly logged please use M-x report-emacs-bug.

On 2013-07-03 23:57 +0800, Olaf Till wrote:
> here is a list with the issues I collected so far with the new
> octave.el.
>
> - Space or <enter> after each long line produces error: Symbol's
>   function definition is void: closure (and <enter> does not advance
>   cursor)
>
> - Alt-q in comment block -> error: Symbol's function definition is
>   void: closure (and nothing is changed in ## comments or invalid line
>   merge happens in # comments).

Since emacs 24.4 is coming. There is low priority to get octave.el
working on older emacsen. Some features of octave.el are implemented
using new features of emacs 24.4 and can be difficult to port to older
emacsen.

> - a = \
>   something;
>
>   "something" is not indented at all

I'll report this bug to emacs's bug tracker.

> - more than three #: are treated as ###, but should probably (were
>   formerly?) be treated as ## . Rationale: you can emphasize comment
>   blocks this way:
>
>   ##################################################
>   ## some comment aaa aaa aa aaa aaaaa aaaa aaa aaaa
>   ## ...

The behaviour is consistent with elisp mode (I am not saying it is
good). Maybe people can get used to a different comment style, for
example:

##------------------------------------------------
## some comment aaa aaa aa aaa aaaaa aaaa aaa aaaa
## ...
##------------------------------------------------

If this still bugs you, M-x report-emacs-bug

> - If no non-comment-line comes after it within the block, ## is not
>   indented to code level within blocks, but only to level of the
>   block-generating words:
>
> if (true)
>   ##
>   if (true)