Re: 3.8 -> 4.0 transition plans

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 3.8 -> 4.0 transition plans
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:55:46 -0500

On 12/02/2013 05:02 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
I think the following proposal makes sense:

    1) Work for the next few days on the stable branch until a release
       is ready, in whatever state it is in within the next few days.
       The outstanding big bugs are in the GUI, and we've agreed that
       we'll just release with those bugs and the warnings that jwe has
       put in.

    2) Create a new gui-release branch based off current default

    3) Merge classdef into default. Close classdef branch.

    4) New experimental features and development go into the default
       branch. This will either be a 4.2 or 5.x release.

    5) Merging order goes like this: stable -> gui-release -> default

    6) After the 3.8 release, we work hard on the gui-release branch
       and release 4.0 from gui-release. Final merge of gui-release
       into default and close gui-release. Hopefully we can do this
       within a few months, say, no more than 4.

    7) Try to focus all efforts on gui-release to the extent that a
       3.8.1 release won't even be necessary, but as usual, critical
       bugs in the 3.8 release get patched on stable and forward-merged
       into release-gui and default, just in case we really do need to
       do 3.8.1

So, basically, replace the classdef branch by putting it into default
and adding an intermediate gui-release branch between stable and
default.

Sounds good?

Yes. That's more detailed that what I proposed earlier, but I think it's the same general idea.