Re: doc macro errors

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: doc macro errors
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:34:36 +0000

On 4 December 2013 17:12, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/04/2013 08:31 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 12/04/2013 11:12 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Texinfo 5.2 and have seen these error messages but they
>>> don't happen all the time.  I don't think they have heppened with a
>>> clean build, so I haven't bothered to track down what is causing them.
>>
>> Wait, it is repeatable, but only on the default branch.  It seems to be
>> caused by the use of "@table @qcode" in the doc string for the new
>> validateattributes function.
>>
> That's a valid complaint.  The @table command only takes the built-in
> formatting options such as @code, @samp, etc.  I've worked around this in
> the rest of the documentation by using
>
> @table @asis
> @item @qcode{"XX"}
> @end table
>
> and putting the @qcode macro down one level.  However, I think we might be
> able to just re-define the qcode macro to avoid what looks like recursion
> in macros.texi.  I'm trying that out right now.

I was cheking that now as well. I tried to turn the qcode macro into a
rmacro (near the top of the doc/interpreter/macros.texi) and it also
builds fine with Texinfo 4.13.

Also, would be nice to have some uniform rules when writing help text.
Things such as how this type of tables should be written (in some
other places @samp is used), how to enter formulas, or examples. I
started a help text page on the wiki meant for this[1] a long time ago
but it's still missing many entries.

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Help_text