Re: Octave 3.8.0-rc1 release candidate available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.0-rc1 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:29:20 -0500

On 12/05/2013 11:13 AM, CdeMills wrote:
A remark, I don't know if things can be easily modified.

Your tag is about three files, one of them is configure.ac, where the
version string is defined. Touching this file means a full recompilation, as
configure is re-run, and by cascading effects each source file is
recompiled.
On the one end this ensure everything is up to date; but the drawback is the
time and computer load involved. Would it be possible to only touch one .h
file, and have only files including it be recompiled ?

I don't see an easy way to change how we deal with the version info
and I don't plan to do anything about it myself.

Automake needs to know the version number so that make dist works
properly.

If you see a better way for this to work, then I recommend that you
bring it up with the automake developers so that all projects using
automake can benefit, not just Octave.