Re: alternatives for funding (was: I want to give you money but it can't

From: Felipe G. Nievinski
Subject: Re: alternatives for funding (was: I want to give you money but it can't be called a donation)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 01:36:25 -0200

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Jordi.

I got concerned after reading jwe's slide on Funding Models (link above).

So I've done quite a bit of studying and editing here:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_models_for_open-source_software>

IMHO, the very existence of xoctave is evidence that selling octave as a box is profitable.

But I don't want to make a one-time purchase -- ideally it'd be offered for sale at large.

Assuming you agree, I've done some market research and found this option adequate:
<http://www.fastspring.com/features.php>
It charges 8.9% for handling all the hassle of payment & refund -- %91.1 of the sell value would go straight to donation.

Alternatively, there are free though non-customizable sites:
<https://upload.cnet.com/>
<http://www.softpedia.com/user/submit.shtml>

Amazon doesn't serve well as they require a software CD, unless you're inclined to register for a UPC (<http://www.gs1us.org/>):
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1199154>

Let me know if think of any cons.

Thanks,
-Felipe.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 05:16 -0800, fgnievinski wrote:
> Pardon the tone of my original message, but I'd like to insist on
> the suggestion of selling Octave as a software box, with priority
> for support inquiries.

What do you need? Can I send you a support contract and an invoice?
Would you like me to burn Octave onto a CD and put it in a box and
send it to you?

> For an exemplary case, see:
> <http://boundlessgeo.com/solutions/opengeo-suite/>

Do I need to create a webpage with big prices on it?

Note to everyone else: any money that I obtain this way I will just
redirect into the donation box. As I understand it, the problem that
fgnievinski needs solved is merely to be able to justify an Octave
donation to his employers.

- Jordi G. H.