Re: eliminate conditional short-circuit behavior for | and & operators?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: eliminate conditional short-circuit behavior for | and & operators?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:13:46 -0500

On 12/11/2013 09:28 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
What about keeping do_braindead_shortcircuit_evaluation as a switch
for backward compatibility, and just have it default to true?

Changing the default doesn't solve the problem of having to
temporarily set the condition around any code that might use the
feature in order to get predictable results.

We have the same problem with allow_noninteger_range_as_index.

Is there any objection to changing the defaults for these to be Matlab
compatible now and deprecating them for the 3.8 release?  Then they
would be removed in whatever version follows the 4.0 release.
Otherwise, I will deprecate them for the 4.0 release and remove them
two major releases after that.