Re: translation of libinterp/version.cc messages

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: translation of libinterp/version.cc messages
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 21:52:59 -0600

On 12/15/2013 08:12 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

Translation for some things, however, is a touchy subject. I do not
know if the GPL assertion constitutes legal language. It's probably ok
to apply i18n to this message, but the text of the GPL itself must not
be translated.

I think it would be OK to use translations that are officially endorsed and approved by the FSF.

There is a further complication for any i18n outside of libgui and
that is that we would probably have to drop using C++ streams, since
right now we have things such as

     ": a few Ritz values of the "<<  p<<  "-by-"<<

These are not amenable to i18n.

I don't think we have to abandon C++ streams. But we will proabably have to rewrite some of the messages to work better for translations.