Re: CVE check for Octave dependencies

From: Reza Housseini
Subject: Re: CVE check for Octave dependencies
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:54:24 +0100

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12/19/2013 02:23 AM, c. wrote:

On 19 Dec 2013, at 07:52, Reza Housseini <address@hidden> wrote:

That's a good idea. Can someone also provide names of the packages to install for other systems? For example Cygwin, Fedora, etc.?
I was also wondering why LLVM isn't on the list from the webpage?

Here's the complete recursive list of dependecies for Octave 3.8.0-rc1 on Mac OSX 10.9 +macports:

If you want to list dependencies for Octave in the manual or on the wiki, I think it makes sense to just list the direct dependencies.

Or, if you think it is necessary to list them all, then I think it would be beset to list them in some kind of tree structure so it is easy to see which ones are secondary dependencies and so on.

At what point do you stop listing the sub-dependencies?  Does (nearly) every package ultimately depend on the C library and kernel?

jwe

I think dependencies of dependencies shouldn't be on the list (will be resolved when user is installing the dependencies).