Re: Octave build dependencies wiki

From: Reza Housseini
Subject: Re: Octave build dependencies wiki
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 07:42:42 +0100

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
On 22 December 2013 18:31, CdeMills <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think the main table as it is constructed today will become unreadable
> over time. For now, we have
> Task     Name    Usage   License / Copyright     Version        Debian  ArchLinux        Level
> Recent CVE ?
>
> [...]
>
> Now, the translation between the package name and the packet
> name, if we consider that each platform/distribution uses some kind of
> package manager, is specific, with variations like libfontconfig-dev versus
> libfontconfig-devel. If we start listing all those variations, I fear that
> we'll end up with a gigantic table. Shouldn't we make one specific page per
> distribution, [...]

This pages already exist. At least for Debian and Debian based systems
[1] which includes package names for different Debian and Ubuntu
releases.

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems

@Pascal

You are right we should probably split this up. Perhaps we decide first which information want to put in then collecting these informations.

@Carnë

I suggest to create a new page for each distribution "Building for <distribution name>".

@Andy

I just collected the information for the ubuntu system, but as Pascal suggested we should probably have a list for each distribution.