Re: mxe-octave stable-octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: mxe-octave stable-octave
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 03:44:51 -0800 (PST)

Thorsten Liebig wrote
> Am 03.01.2014 05:03, schrieb John W. Eaton:
>> On 01/02/2014 10:51 PM, fgnievinski wrote:
>>> Thorsten Liebig wrote
>>>
>>> It seems that \share\octave\3.8.0-rc2\ doesn't need to be shipped as
>>> there's
>>> already \share\octave\3.8.0\ ?
>>
>> This happens because of the way that the distribution is generated.
>> The only way to make one that doesn't possibly contain cruft left over
>> from earlier builds with older versions of packages (not just Octave,
>> but any dependency) is to use "make clean" and build from scratch.
>>
>> I think we can do better than this, but it wasn't high on my list of
>> priorities.
>>
>> jwe
>>

> I guess that was my mistake? I build rc2 and was to lazy to do a full
> cleanup before building 3.8.0 final...
> What would be the proper approach to have a clean build regardless of
> prior actions??

For cross-builds I usually do this:

After:
- fixing the version number in index.html,
- updating the SHA1 checksum in src/octave.mk,
- copying the dist Octave archive into pkg/ and
- deleting the old archive,
I hunt down the entire mxe-octave dir for old octave files; e.g., in:

octave/     (can be wiped completely)
...and the octave-version-numbered subdirs in:
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include/
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/octave/
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/libexec/octave/
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/share/octave/
...and I may have forgotten a few.

I suppose a sh script could be put in tools/ to automate this (I haven't
bothered yet).
Such a script could be run together with the step that wipes the dist/
subdir.

These old Octave files aren't in the way (= I didn't hit issues while
running on Windows) but the old files get included in the archive leading to
much bigger archives.
OTOH this is a good way to have different Octave versions installed
side-by-side in one install directory on Windows w/o too much overhead.
E.g. 3.6.4 & 3.7.7+, that's what I actually had a while ago - unintended but
AFAICS it worked OK, I only had to make additional Start Menu shortcuts &
desktop icons/-shortcuts to be able to run both versions.

When updating OF packages I also have to hunt down the old ones, they're
hidden somewhere else after the ./mk-dist step (I forgot now), otherwise old
ones also make it into the installer. But these don't take up so much space.

Philip