RE: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 94, Issue 12

From: John D
Subject: RE: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 94, Issue 12
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 19:03:17 -0500

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:10:08 -0800
From: Rik <address@hidden>
To: Octave Maintainers <address@hidden>
Subject: MXE cross-build distribution problem with octave-gui.exe

1/3/14

When trying to create a zip file of the MXE distribution I use './mk-dist
--stable' (no installer, just zip file).  There seems to be a race condition
somewhere in the script because I get the following output:

rik:~/wip/Projects_Mine/mxe-octave: ./mk-dist --stable deleting previous
dist directory...
building octave and dependencies...
make: Nothing to be done for `stable-octave'.
make: Nothing to be done for `msys-base'.
make: Nothing to be done for `native-gcc'.
make: Nothing to be done for `native-binutils'.
make: Nothing to be done for `octave-forge-packages'.
make: Nothing to be done for `npp'.
make: Nothing to be done for `units'.
make: Nothing to be done for `transfig'.
generating lists of files to exclude...
  native files...
  gcc cross compiler files...
copying files...
  octave and dependencies...
tar: ./bin/octave-gui.exe: File removed before we read it
  octaverc file...
  native tools...

And indeed, there is no octave-gui.exe in the bin directory of the resulting
zip file.

Along the same lines, the dist/ directory is created and under it is the
directory octave-3.8.0.  However, the zip file contains the full path
/home/rik/xxx/yyy/zzz/dist/octave-3.8.0.  This is annoying as I have to
unpack the zip file on the Windows side and then hunt for octave-3.8.0 and
bring it back up 5 or 6 directory levels.  The changeset that introduced
this was 3387:0779856e1186.

--Rik

The long paths in the zipfile was an unintended issue when I changed the
dist folder name. I fixed it in changeset
http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/rev/bf96d7158829