Re: Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 13.10: Include file <jni.h> not found

From: Steph Bredenhann
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 13.10: Include file <jni.h> not found
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 03:29:09 +0200

On 04/01/2014 20:47, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 01/04/2014 12:13 PM, Steph Bredenhann wrote:
Hi All

I have managed to install all dependencies for Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu
13.10 x64, but I keep on getting this message:

configure: WARNING: Include file <jni.h> not found. Octave will not be
able to call Java methods.

The jni.h is present, how do I get the Octave scripts to "see" it?

The configure script doesn't look for it directly. It runs the compiler on a simple test file to see whether including jni.h works. If the header file is installed somewhere that the compiler normally looks, then everything works properly. If not, then you have to modify the flags that the compiler uses to modify its header search path. So something like

  configure CPPFLAGS=-I/where/ever/it/is

will probably work. Of course, you need to replace /where/ever/it/is with the actual directory where jni.h is installed.

jwe

I have managed to install Octave 3.8.0 now on Ubuntu 13.10 x64. The solution was 1) to remove the JAVA_HOME definition and allow Octave to sort out defaults never mind warnings and 2) I had sudo make install.

I have installed the packages that I need, but Octave crash with a segmentation fault, even with a simple plot like sin(x), see details below

address@hidden:~$ octave
GNU Octave, version 3.8.0
Copyright (C) 2013 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/get-involved.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
For information about changes from previous versions, type 'news'.

octave:1> graphics_toolkit ("fltk")
octave:2> x = -10:0.1:10;
octave:3> y = sin(x);
octave:4> plot(x,y)
No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for the available targets.
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
address@hidden:~$