Re: Writing Octave tests

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Writing Octave tests
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:10:11 -0800

On 01/09/2014 06:56 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 21:33:09 -0500
> From: Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> To: msander <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Willing to work for octave.
>
> On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 18:24 -0800, msander wrote:
>> > could you suggest a few functions for which tests should be written.
>> > some tips on what should be tested for each, at least as a starting
>> > point, would be helpful.
> Compile Octave and run the test suite with "make check". There are
> still some things that don't have tests. You can also look at the
> tests that are failing, maybe you can make some of them should pass!
>
> - Jordi G. H.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 18:54:34 -0800 (PST)
> From: fgnievinski <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Willing to work for octave.
>
> Ideally tests should cover 100% of the code of the function under test.
> AFAIK Octave doesn't have a code coverage tool, so you'd have to gauge
> coverage by eye...

We are far from even having one test for every function, so I think we
should focus on getting the breadth of coverage first before trying to get
the depth of 100% statement coverage.  Running 'make check' on the
development branch reveals that 243 of 834 m-files have no tests.  Some of
these will be plotting functions which have demos instead, but I'm still
sure that leaves enough functions to be an interesting project.  There also
need to be tests for functions written in the C++ files, and that is a
whole other project.

--Rik