Re: unable to find the mkoctfile command

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: unable to find the mkoctfile command
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:07:24 -0500

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:58:57 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 15/01/2014 16:42, Mike Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:28:02 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>>
>>> working on packing octave and forge packages, I just hit
>>> this very unusual error:

>>> $ octave
>>> GNU Octave, version 3.8.0
>>>
>>> [cut]
>>> Octave was configured for "i686-pc-cygwin".
>>> [cut]
>>>
>>> octave:1> pkg install general-1.3.2.tar.gz
>>> pkg: unable to find the mkoctfile command, Octave installation is
>>> incomplete
>>> error: called from '__gripe_missing_component__' in file
>>> /usr/share/octave/3.8.0/m/help/__gripe_missing_component__.m near line
>>> 53,
>>> column 3
>>> error: called from:
>>> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/private/install.m at line 199,
>>> column
>>> 5
>>> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 394, column 9
>>>
>>> As of course mkoctfile is where should be
>>>
>>>   $ which mkoctfile
>>> /usr/bin/mkoctfile
>>>
>>>   $ mkoctfile --version
>>> mkoctfile, version 3.8.0
>>>
>>> something else went wrong on my packaging.
>>> Any idea where to look for ?
>>

>> Do you have /usr/bin/mkoctfile-3.8.0(.exe)? Does cygwin use .exe or
>> not? And what is the value of octave_config_info("EXEEXT")?
>>
>> If you do not install the versioned names of the Octave programs,
>> you'll probably want to patch some functions such as mkoctfile that
>> are expecting to find the version suffix. Or does that program/symlink
>> exist and you still get the error?
>>

> of course as it is a script, it should not have a ".exe" suffix

But if it were an executable it would have a .exe extension on cygwin right?

So this looks like a bug, the current logic is assuming if your system
adds .exe, then mkoctfile should have a .exe extension. Please report
to the bug tracker. Also affects the pkg/private/configure_make
subfunction.

At one point I think it was mentioned that we might be better off
making mkoctfile and octave-config into executables regardless of
platform, as it just makes maintenance harder to maintain both a
program and a script that do the same thing just because we can on
some platforms.

--
mike