Re: 'cla reset' clears user properties?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: 'cla reset' clears user properties?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:30:26 -0500

On Jan 23, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 23/01/2014 19:30, Rik wrote:
>
>> What do people think the following code should do?
>>
>> close all
>> hax = gca;
>> addproperty ("__foobar__", hax, "data", [1 2])
>> cla reset
>> isprop (hax, "__foobar__")
>
> Matlab doesn't have addproperty, but the following experiment is informative :
>
> close all; set (gca, 'UserData', 333); cla; get (gca, 'UserData')  % returns
> 333
>
> close all; set (gca, 'UserData', 333); cla reset; get (gca, 'UserData')  %
> returns []
>

> Thus, IMO, "cla reset" should at least clear the content of user properties,
> if not completely remove the properties.
>
> @++
> Julien

Matlab's appdata is persistent.

clf ()
setappdata (gca (), 'foo', 'bar');
cla reset
getappdata (gca (), 'foo')

ans =

bar

Presently, Octave uses addproperty() to implement setappdata() and getappdata().

For compatibility, we should leave the user created properties alone (which is
what Octave presently does).

Ben