Re: [FORGE] struct package segmentation fault

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [FORGE] struct package segmentation fault
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 15:51:40 +0100

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 12:43:59PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 09:34:06PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
>> > <snip>
>> > But according to the backtrace the init
>> > function seems to call some functions related to graphics (#3 up to
>> > #1), where the crash occurs. The reason why the init function does
>> > something graphics-related is probably not in the struct package.
>>
>> Checking with gdb myself, the function:
>>
>> > #1  0x00007fffe580b723 in base_properties::factory_defaults() ()
>>
>> is not even called in my Octave-3.8.0 during installation of the
>> released struct-1.0.10.tar.gz.
>
> Further digging through Octave source, AFAIKT the only way
> 'base_properties::factory_defaults()' is called is by a call to
> 'root_figure::init_factory_properties()'. And the latter is only
> called during static initialization of
> 'root_figure::factory_properties' (libinterp/corefcn/graphics.cc, line
> 3221). The latter should only happen once, at start of
> Octave. According to your backtrace, the dynamic linker seems to
> repeat this static initialization when loading a dynamic function,
> which should not happen.
>
> I can only guess, but maybe for some reason a static link of
> 'cell2fields.oct' to 'liboctinterp.so...' is performed at your
> system? Can you tell what were the last lines of the output of
> ./configure... for your Octave-3.8.0, in particular
>
>   Build static libraries:
>   Build shared libraries:
>
> A good hint could also be if you just told the filesize of your
> generated 'cell2fields.oct', which should linger somewhere if your
> Octave crashed during installation of struct.
>
> And are you sure that the crash occurs only if installing the struct
> package, not if installing any other package which contains compiled
> functions? As yet I don't see any direct relation to the struct
> package.
>
> Olaf
>
> --
> public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

Olaf, Thank you for your time.
This are the last lines of the configure output. I am compiling with no flags.

 Build Octave GUI:                   yes
  JIT compiler for loops:             no
  Build Java interface:               yes
  Do internal array bounds checking:  no
  Use octave_allocator:               no
  Build static libraries:             no
  Build shared libraries:             yes
  Dynamic Linking:                    yes (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   yes
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     no

I was executing Octave without the GUI. I can install the control
package without crash, s yes, I believe is only with the struct
package. Other packages install well also, geometry, io, general,
signal, etc...

There are two files cell2fields.oct
/home/juanpi/.octave/struct-1.0.10/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v48+/cell2fields.oct
(35K, 21. January)
/home/juanpi/.octave/struct-1.0.10/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v49+/cell2fields.oct
(39K, 26 January (today))