Re: [FORGE] struct package segmentation fault

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [FORGE] struct package segmentation fault
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:50:57 +0100

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 07:11:14PM +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 03:51:40PM +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> >>
> >> Olaf, Thank you for your time.
> >> This are the last lines of the configure output. I am compiling with no
> >> flags.
> >>
> >>  Build Octave GUI:                   yes
> >>   JIT compiler for loops:             no
> >>   Build Java interface:               yes
> >>   Do internal array bounds checking:  no
> >>   Use octave_allocator:               no
> >>   Build static libraries:             no
> >>   Build shared libraries:             yes
> >>   Dynamic Linking:                    yes (dlopen)
> >>   Include support for GNU readline:   yes
> >>   64-bit array dims and indexing:     no
> >>
> >> I was executing Octave without the GUI. I can install the control
> >> package without crash, s yes, I believe is only with the struct
> >> package. Other packages install well also, geometry, io, general,
> >> signal, etc...
> >>
> >> There are two files cell2fields.oct
> >> /home/juanpi/.octave/struct-1.0.10/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v48+/cell2fields.oct
> >> (35K, 21. January)
> >> /home/juanpi/.octave/struct-1.0.10/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v49+/cell2fields.oct
> >> (39K, 26 January (today))
> >
> > Nothing looks suspicious in the above. Though I didn't see a reason
> > anymore why this configuration should matter I've compiled Octave with
> > the same configuration now and could not reproduce the segfault. I
> > have no further ideas at the moment. As I said, it looks as if the
> > segfault happens when a function of Octave is called during loading of
> > the packages oct-files which actually should only be called for static
> > initialization at start of Octave.
> >
> > Olaf
> >
> > --
> > public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
>
> Olaf do you know other pacage doing this. I tried the ones that I know
> they have compiled files and they work. What is special about
> struct...compared with control or geometry?

I don't see anything special about the struct package. And no code of
the struct package should be run during installation, since there are
no PKG_ADD directives.

You should be able to compile e.g. cell2fields.cc separately with
mkoctfile and load the resulting cell2fields.oct from Octaves current
working directory with 'help cell2fields'. But this could only give a
clue if the crash should not happen then.

Olaf