Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:19:16 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> On 01/25/2014 09:40 PM, fgnievinski wrote:
>> I'd suggest the following:
>> - delete the gui-release .ts files
>> - copy the ts from stable into gui-release
>> - run lupdate, which will:
>>      - keep existing translations,
>>      - insert missing source strings, and
>>      - update location line numbers.
>> The only requirement is to halt
>> translation contributions to gui-release
>> until a string freeze is eventually announced.
>
> Independent changes have been made on the gui-release branch and the
> stable branch.  That's why we have conflicts.  So it seems to me that
> replacing the .ts files from stable and updating line info will lose
> some changes.
>
> Or maybe you meant to say that we should avoid changing gui-release
> strings while stable is also changing?  I don't see how we can enforce
> that.
>
> I did the merge by hand over all 11 .ts files.  If I got something
> wrong, I guess someone else will have to fix it because I have no clue
> what the proper translations are or how to manipulate these files.
>
> jwe

I guess we have to deal with the consequences of two branches growing
apart...
Still, I hate when messages get shuffled in a ts file -- it makes diff'ing
not fun at all.
I'd play with `lupdate -locations absolute` and `lupdate -locations none`
to check if either would make stable ts more comparable to gui-release ts.
>From the docs:
<http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/linguist-ts-file-format.html>
   "Line numbers are relative (explicitly positive or negative) to the last
reference to a given filename"
I've filed a feature request at Qt for a way of sorting messages in ts
files:
<https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-36443>

-F.