Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 06:51:29 +0100

On 29.01.2014 21:42, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 01/25/2014 09:40 PM, fgnievinski wrote:
>> I'd suggest the following:
>> - delete the gui-release .ts files
>> - copy the ts from stable into gui-release
>> - run lupdate, which will:
>>      - keep existing translations,
>>      - insert missing source strings, and
>>      - update location line numbers.
>> The only requirement is to halt
>> translation contributions to gui-release
>> until a string freeze is eventually announced.
>
> Independent changes have been made on the gui-release branch and the
> stable branch.  That's why we have conflicts.  So it seems to me that
> replacing the .ts files from stable and updating line info will lose
> some changes.
>
> Or maybe you meant to say that we should avoid changing gui-release
> strings while stable is also changing?  I don't see how we can enforce
> that.

We can change strings in the gui-release but we must not translate any
of them now. Then we can always merge the ts-files from stable to
gui-release. As Felipe mentioned, the next run of the lupdate utility on
gui-release (re-)inserts the missing strings in the ts-files and keeps
existing translations.

Torsten