Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 00:32:34 -0800 (PST)

The opensource ecosystem is vast and diversified.

On the one hand, you're right that Octave could benefit from funding. OTOH,
promoting Octave as the-poor-man  MatLab does not seems adaquate to me. At
first, we will appear as a MatLab concurrent, and as so will become a
"target" for actions. Second, when I see students from countries where
copyright laws are less enforced, they all have crackeds version of
you-just-name-it. They prefer to use some MatLab of dubious ancestry because
"it is standard". They mean it both ways: everybody write and diffuse code
in THIS language, and everybody crack it.

I thus conclude that "money" should not be the only argument; we should
agree on other metrics to promote actions around Octave.

Regards